Monday, August 17, 2009

Sandpoint, Idaho 17 August, 2009

I thought it was the 15th today, and it turns out it's the 17th. So I asked Julia, "Where did the last two days go?" and she said, "Bicycles?" Lol. So true.

I can't believe the summer is almost over. Truly, I would slow it down and make it last longer if I could. Right now, we (Julia, Rachel, Jon, and I) are in a coffee/used book shop called "Common Knowledge" which is a block away from the UMC at which we are staying. It is a really neat shop and I found a few books I want, one of which I am buying. I might yet buy a couple more, but have not decided...giving myself some time to think it over.

Anyway, the last few ride days were absolutely beautiful. Going from Eureka to Libby, MT then Libby, MT to Sandpoint, ID were both some of my favorite biking days yet. From Eureka to Libby, we rode along a lake for about 16 miles and saw some bald eagles and bald eagle nests. It was perfect and timeless. And the ride yesterday was on a little trafficked road lined with evergreen trees. I love the smell of evergreens. The mornings have been a bit chillier, though. I actually had to wear a long-sleeve shirt. In Eureka, MT, I went to a yarn shop and bought some yarn and knitting needles and started a hat. It is almost done. I'm calling it the Northwestern Montana Hat because it is greens and a little bit of brown and gray...the colors of northwestern Montana. I'm enjoying this part of the country so much. It reminds me of home, a little bit, but it's bigger and more rugged or wild or something. Everything is farther apart, too.

Our last build day was in Whitefish, MT. It was bittersweet to be working on the last build site this summer. So nice to be able to help and accomplish something, yet so sad that it's the last one we'll be working on this summer. It's so interesting to travel by bike across the country and help build along the way. Each place and person has left an impact on me, and I hope our group has left an impact on them, too. One of my favorite things is seen the enthusiasm in each person, from my fellow Bike & Builders, to the site managers, to the pastors, to the future home-owners. I hope we all are able to keep that enthusiasm even after the summer is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment